Friday, August 4, 2006

The car of my dreams!

Oh. My. Gawd.



I am in serious lust with a cage. (Those that know me may remember that I have never lusted after anything with more than 2 wheels prior to today.)



"The Tesla Roadster has a range of 250 miles, says the company.



The Tesla's lithium-ion batteries can be raised from the dead to a full charge in 3 ½ hours. . . . Tesla will have its own portable charging pack so it won't be range-tethered to its home charging station.



Perhaps most important . . . the Tesla offers fun, in large, hair-raising voltages. The company claims 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 4 seconds and a top speed of 130 mph."




I want one!




Engineers have known for a long time now that electric motors are capable of much higher levels of torque and power than any reciprocating engine ever invented. The problem is not the motors, its the batteries. If we ever develop a portable electrical source for vehicles, our world will change drastically.



Imagine a car with a high-power motor on each wheel. Heck, the wheel itself would be the rotor for the motor, the inside would be the stator. Done right, you would not need pressure brakes . . . it could all be done electronically, which means better braking and no worn out pads - ever again. It would be the ultimate power horse and all wheel drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but moderated to prevent spam links. I usually check them at least once a day in the evenings - so please be patient with me if your comment does not appear quickly.

Thank you.